Go Back   Farm Town > Help & Support > Archives Help

Old Feb 13 2010, 11:18 PM

Default Virus Spyware warning

Updated Jan 28, 2011

Due to recent reports we have cleared all previous posts from this thread. We are still monitoring the situation to determine if the malware is hidden in one of the ads on Farm Town. We will work directly with the ad company if it is determined to be in one of their ads.

UPDATED AUGUST 13TH, 2010. 6:30 PM CENTRAL TIME

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO USE MALWARE BYTES AND WERE UNABLE TO LOAD FARM TOWN DUE TO OUR IP BEING DEEMED A MALICIOUS IP THIS PROBLEM SHOULD NOW BE SOLVED. THE DEVS WERE ABLE TO CONTACT MALWARE BYTES AND HAVE OUR IP REMOVED FROM THEIR MALICIOUS LIST. IF YOU RECEIVE A MESSAGE FROM MALWARE BYTES AFTER THE DATE AND TIME ABOVE, STATING A MALICIOUS IP HAD BEEN BLOCKED PLEASE POST HERE

DO NOT POST LINKS TO THE MALWARE SITES IN THIS THREAD. LINKS WILL BE REMOVED FOR THE PROTECTION OF ALL OF OUR MEMBERS

I keep getting warnings that my system is infected with spyware and I need to run a scan, what is this?
We are aware and have reported to the developers that many of our players have encountered the malware/spyware while on the FarmTown Site. You should not follow any links to any software claiming to "clean your system".

What should I do if I get one of these warnings or pop ups?
If you suddenly get a warning that your computer is infected with viruses and you MUST run this scan now, DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK, CLOSE THE WINDOW IMMEDIATELY. It is best if you "right click" and "close" if possible. You should then run a full scan with your antivirus/spyware program to ensure that any stray parts of this malware are caught and quarantined.

How does this happen in the first place?
These programs are inserted into advertisements or other links by disreputable third parties. Neither Slashkey nor their ad company is placing them in the ads. To say that Slashkey or their ad company is "placing these ads intentionally" is completely inaccurate. They screen the ads as much as possible, but as evidenced by the fact that even sites as large as Google and Fox are susceptible to these attacks, it is also inaccurate to say that Slashkey is being anything less than diligent in their efforts to keep their ads free of spyware/malware.

How do I get rid of it?
Most good antivirus/malware program will catch and quarantine this malware.

If you do research on many of these spyware programs you will also find a myriad of sites proclaiming they are the only ones who can rid you of these programs. This is not true and on a personal level I urge you to use great caution as some of these so called wonder cures are as much of a scam as the malware you are trying to remove.

Those of you who know me on the forum know I am the very last person who will proclaim any one antivirus better than the other. However, I am going to mention the one that I use, solely because most tell me they have never heard of it. I use Webroot and every year for the last three years I have been using it this program has been able to find and quarantine all parts of this particular malware. If my obscure program can find it then it is a sure bet most of the more well known ones will find it as well.

What is being done about it?
Again we have reported this to the developers and if this is associated with any of their ads rest assured it will be pulled as soon as possible. That being said, there is a chance this is from Facebook and/or MySpace and NOT from Farm Town so exercise caution on those sites as well. The developers are working intently both in-house and with the advertisers on verifying the causes of this issue and removing and banning any possible culprits. Should an ad turn out the be the cause of this, they will not only pull the ad, but ban the advertiser from ever running across any of their games again, not just Farm Town.
When posting here please provide the following information to help the developers track this down:

Are you a Facebook player or a Myspace player

Browser type and version (i.e. Firefox 3.5)

Date and Time and time zone

URL of page you were taken too (if any)

Your antivirus program and version

The name of the malware shown by your antivirus/malware program after it found the malware.

If possible please provide a screenshot (use the print screen button)

The country you are located in. This information is necessary due to the fact that many of the ads are regional in nature. This helps the devs track down the ad faster.

Even if your antivirus/malware program stops an intrusion please note the information you received from your software, and post it using the format above. Most software will give you the url or the name of the program.
I am still getting the pop ups and warnings even after you say the problem has been fixed, now what do I do?
Some members may still be getting the pop up for the malware even after the offending ad has been pulled. This means that at least part of it did make it into your system. Using a good malware program that is specifically for malware such as Malwarebytes or any of the others mentioned by other members in this thread is your best bet to rid yourself of the last residual bits of the malware.

One caution however, if you have another antivirus program running at the same time, be sure that it is not blocking the malware program you are trying to run. As an example when I had to deal with this at my day job the antivirus program supplied by our internet provider did not catch the malware that one of the bosses managed to get, and also blocked the Malwarebytes program from functioning properly. I had to disable the main antivirus program until after the Malwarebytes software was done doing its thing and clearing up the last of the malware left in the system.

As stated earlier, any one of the good antivirus/malware programs will stop this issue.

Posts in this thread that are solely to promote one browser/antivirus combination over another will be removed without notice to the member.

Old Feb 01 2011, 12:17 PM

Default Trojan Horse on Farm

Today I cannot access my Farm Town in Facebook. Each time I try to load the farm my anti-virus blocks the page stating a Trojan Horse as the reason. I need help soon I have spent several dollars buying farm cash for new facilities over the past two months. I don't want to lose access to my farm.
Old Feb 01 2011, 12:40 PM

I'm getting a threat block from AVG as well. It is listing the Threat name as "Exploit Blackhole Exploit Kit (type 1380)" AVG is only getting hit with it on Farm Town and I had my husband try to log into his farm from his computer and he's getting hit with a block for the same threat.
Old Feb 01 2011, 01:36 PM

As per requested by Tiger Laybourne - here are the answers to the questions regarding the threat block I'm getting from AVG when trying to access the game

Are you a Facebook player or a Myspace player

Facebook

Browser type and version (i.e. Firefox 3.5)

Chrome 8.0.552.237 - have also tried to access using Firefox 3.6.13 but still receive the blocked threat warning

Date and Time and time zone

2/1/11 - first tried to access around 11am. Tried again at 2:20pm and still receiving the blocked threat notice - EST

URL of page you were taken too (if any)

Not taking me to any pages or sites - it's just a notice that my antivirus detected and blocked the threat

Your antivirus program and version

AVG antivirus 10.0.1204 and Malwarebytes' anti-malware 1.46

The name of the malware shown by your antivirus/malware program after it found the malware.

Exploit Blackhole Exploit Kit (type 1380)

If possible please provide a screenshot (use the print screen button)

See below - sorry for the blurryness of it. For some reason that's been happening whenever I try to print a screen lately

The country you are located in. This information is necessary due to the fact that many of the ads are regional in nature. This helps the devs track down the ad faster.

United States - east coast

Even if your antivirus/malware program stops an intrusion please note the information you received from your software, and post it using the format above. Most software will give you the url or the name of the program.

Like mentioned above, it is blocking the threat but I don't want to continue to play in case something does get past the antivirus program. I do have crops screaming to be harvested and I was in the middle of redoing a farm so I'm seriously jonesing to get back to work

Old Feb 01 2011, 01:57 PM

I don't know if this is of any help or not, but I just tried to play the game and everything was fine for the first minute. At the time the ad on the bottom of the page was for an online college. The ad blanked out to a white box with a small black "X" in the upper right corner and the threat block popped up.
Old Feb 01 2011, 02:09 PM

Okay, I've messed around a little more and have noticed that the block only comes up when the ad being shown on the bottom of the page has the spinning gold coin graphic to the left of the ad. Doesn't matter what the ad is for - accounting schools, etc - but if it shows that graphic, it gets blocked. I've had ads on the bottom for Google Chrome and it doesn't cause a virus warning
Old Feb 01 2011, 02:14 PM

I had the same problem as Reilsmom. I installed an ad-blocker and no longer have the problem. I'll un-install the thing when the problem is fixed. Slashkey deserves every penny they can get from ads.

Started May 16, 2009
Old Feb 01 2011, 02:18 PM

Location: UK but i'd rather be somewhere hot and sunny :) with a swimming pool....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilsmom View Post
I don't know if this is of any help or not, but I just tried to play the game and everything was fine for the first minute. At the time the ad on the bottom of the page was for an online college. The ad blanked out to a white box with a small black "X" in the upper right corner and the threat block popped up.
Hi,

Thank you very much, yes that is useful information. It seems to be an ad that AVG is blocking as a threat.

You can help directly with the ads by using the tool provided by the advertisers.

In the uppper right hand corner of each ad there is a small black x. Click on that x, then click on other in the radio buttons. After clicking on other a text box will open up. Enter the problem there, such as "trojan threat", then click on OK. That feed back goes directly to the advertising company.
Please do that and see if that helps.

In the meantime, all i can really suggest is either getting an ad blocker for chrome, or possibly trying another browser and maybe the problem ad will not pop up on there. The ads refresh every few mins so i cant be sure about it.

The mod that deals with these is not on line at the moment, I will inform them and let them know there is a problem ad, if they need more info they will get in touch.

Sorry i cant be of much more help at the moment, hopefully a mod will be on shortly.
Old Feb 01 2011, 02:19 PM

Location: UK but i'd rather be somewhere hot and sunny :) with a swimming pool....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammienyx View Post
I had the same problem as Reilsmom. I installed an ad-blocker and no longer have the problem. I'll un-install the thing when the problem is fixed. Slashkey deserves every penny they can get from ads.
Hi,

Is it the same ad causing you problems. Please provide the name of the ad.

Thanks.
Old Feb 01 2011, 02:21 PM

Thanks Tiger - I'll look into an ad blocker. It's happening on Firefox as well and I know that there are ad ons available to block ads on there so worst case I'll just use that browser until the issue is fixed. I did get a screen capture of the ad that causes the block to help identify it if you need to: (ignore the mess.. it's the farm I'm working on at the moment )

Tags
spyware, virus