Go Back   Farm Town > Social Forums > Farm Town Social

Old Dec 17 2016, 10:09 AM

Default Do You Remember When??

We are only about 3 months away from the 8th..... yes EIGHTH... Anniversary of Farm Town.... that "silly" game that started in 2009 with a really simple 12x12 piece of dirt where a player could become a farmer.

This thread, suggested by my neighbor, the hard working "farmer", Patricia, can be a spot to reminisce.

Share your favorite, or least favorite times from the past 1, 2, 3 or even 7+ years.

Share how you came to FT, and perhaps why you stay and continue to enjoy the game.

Share your favorites, from tools, to facilities, to any other enhancements we now have over all these years.

Enjoy...

Old Dec 17 2016, 10:37 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFace View Post
We are only about 3 months away from the 8th..... yes EIGHTH... Anniversary of Farm Town.... that "silly" game that started in 2009 with a really simple 12x12 piece of dirt where a player could become a farmer.

This thread, suggested by my neighbor, the hard working "farmer", Patricia, can be a spot to reminisce.

Share your favorite, or least favorite times from the past 1, 2, 3 or even 7+ years.

Share how you came to FT, and perhaps why you stay and continue to enjoy the game.

Share your favorites, from tools, to facilities, to any other enhancements we now have over all these years.

Enjoy...

Ahhh,,, the Memories of The Beginning of this great game we all call FarmTown. So many good memories,,,where to begin. For me, my journey began due to my niece imploring me to try this game on FaceBook. "FaceBook, what's that" ? I asked. I soon found out and thus my virtual farming began. What a trip it has been since June of 2009. Still here and still loving the game. Met a young lady from Australia and we farmed each other's farms as we worked together to get to Level 34 and the Red Mansion. We made up a song we called "Singing the Red Mansion Blues". lolol

To me, the game mirrors life. We get out of it what we are willing and able to put into it.

FT addicted since June 22, 2009
Old Dec 17 2016, 01:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to jeannine_p

ahhhhh... when i started, top level was 80, and there were 2 farms. i had a good friend get me hooked on this, and i was SO EXCITED when we got farm 3. planted carousels to level up to be able to get farm 3, then added a bunch of people for neighbors. over the years FT has become my zen place. when i am stressed over real life, i come here to hang out with friends, help out, and just relax. this game has come so far, from harvesting/plowing one plot at a time and no facs, to trains, ships, and multi facs and special tools. its amazing to me how far this has grown. what amazes me even more is how this game continues to grow and expand. all glitches aside, this is by far the best game in town. devs are always coming up with new things for us, and adding new facets for us to work with. i just am so thrilled wit all the new stuff they keep adding to it to make it more interesting.
Old Dec 17 2016, 02:38 PM

In earlier days, one of the ways to acquire coin was to get (from sites), lots of gifts, particularly the black cat. At the time it was worth more when sold than most any gift available. 180 coin per cat.... nothing to just meow at!

I joined just about June 2009 also..... at the begging insistence of my wife who needed neighbors to get that next farm... the 3rd I think.

I eventually began working her farm too for a year or more. I planted a LOT of onions so she and another friend could work them for me, and get the bonus on that much needed product for themselves too.

At one time there was a glitch concerning gifts..... in particular, the Big Lake with Boat was available as a GIFT on one of the sites. Needless to say, I gifted myself about 30 of them and did the same for my wife. (should have gifted a lot more if I new that eventually we would have so many farms and that Green Hand....and I wish the same had been true for the Big Sea Coast)
Old Dec 17 2016, 06:08 PM

September 19, 2009

Hi All,

Last last night we deployed a new version of FarmTown. These are some of the changes included:

Greatly improved the crop/tree/item selection logic. We completly revamped this code, and it should be now close to pixel perfect. This was a big change, if you notice anything amiss, please report it.

When harvesting at your farm, added an option to remember your decision (Harvest and Sell vs. Harvest and Storage) for the rest of the session.
Changed the item/field highlight from a very light yellow to a stronger yellow, this makes highlighted items visiible even when zoomed out.

The game now defaults to 'Do not follow avatar'. You can still change the brhavior back in the 'Preferences' toolbox.

Improved the map scrolling when using the mouse (map drag and drop). In the previous versions the item menus could get in the way sometimes.

Minor change: Popup Menu position optimized based on mouse position.
Fixed issue where in some cases, after planting a large farm, some of the last fields would appear as not planted, or appear with a harvested field on top. We are still monitoring this issue.

Improved server failover. Now when the server you are connected fails, there is an instant failover that finds another healthy server. This should reduce the page reloads (Xlink errors, etc). We still have some ways to go here, but this should reduce these errors.

On a separate note, next Monday we will issuing the FarmCash credit I mentioned in a previous thread. This credit will be given to users who were playing FarmTown prior to the release of FarmCash and it will be calculated based on their current level.

Thanks.

[Quick Updates]
More land: We've implemented some features in this direction, but we are still assessing the impact of the increased load on our servers and infrastructure. It wouldn't do much good to launch all these features, and then have all our servers crash..

More Levels: We are still working on these. We wanted to tackle first the list of user experience improvements, bugs and glitches.
Old Dec 17 2016, 06:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to beverduster

everybodys goal was to get the red mansion, but i was grateful for the logg outhouse
Old Dec 18 2016, 01:18 PM

One of the nurses at work got me hooked on it. I remember working for the goal of getting the red mansion. Remember the roaster that walked backward the first few days.

Back then the market place was the way to go to get people to harvest your crops, because you got more money when you sold them. Hired this one woman to harvest my grapes, she did a couple and then said "I do not do grades and left". I always wondered what she thought of the raspberries that came out a few weeks later.

Remember when they gave us the rivers, I had one that ran from the upper left corner to the bottom right. Had to start telling people to harvest the crops on the other side of the river.

Farming since April 26 2009
Old Dec 18 2016, 01:44 PM
Account Not Linked

Back in the day, my neighbors planted their crops in patterns, so they'd look pretty when they were ready for harvest.
Old Dec 18 2016, 04:04 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcinea View Post
Back in the day, my neighbors planted their crops in patterns, so they'd look pretty when they were ready for harvest.
Being a quilter, I planted that way sometimes. Farm 1 (the ONLY farm) was divided into fields outlined by dirt paths. Blueberries and Cotton looked nice together; as well as Sunflowers and Blueberries, both planted in diagonal squares of color. Potatoes looked really nice when planted with Eggplants. Early attempts at design work lolol

FT addicted since June 22, 2009
Old Dec 19 2016, 12:45 AM

Ahh yes, back in '09 when I started out on FT I too was eager to get the red mansion, AND to expand my farm base. My one and only farm base lol.

I remember running out of coins so often that the only way to get some was to plant potatoes, raspberries, or grapes just to make a quick buck so I could buy more fences or more animals.

I too did the pattern thing. Made it more fun for harvesting.

And boy do I remember harvesting and plowing one ruddy field a time, and one tree at a time! My gosh. Made it just as fun when doing larger farmer's fields as a hired hand and I swear one time my finger was twitching so much after doing so much rapid-fire mouse-clicking LOL.

Now we have these wonderful things called "combines" were, currently, I can harvest 9 fields at a time. I haven't gotten enough FC to get to the harvest-plow machines.

Of course I took a break from FT for a while and came back to find way more levels and WAY more facilities and stuff added on. FT evolved in '09 from just a simple farm game to both a farm AND a town game, sticking true to its name!

I have to laugh at myself though because I still get a little annoyed at the animals; all those clones I have on my farm, giving me milk, wool, turkey feathers, and whatever else; and somehow those calves just don't seem to ever grow up LOL.

I give credit to the developers and all that they've done. Nothing about this game is really going to be totally realistic like it is on a real farm like the one I came from, but they still find a way to make it fun and addictive for everyone, and that is a very good thing indeed.

So, a belated Happy 9th "Birthday" to Farm Town!

"Life is nothing more than a cattle trail. You never know where it'll lead until you actually get there."
-Anonymous

Farm Town member since sometime in 2009...