Go Back   Farm Town > Feedback and Suggestions > General Feedback

Closed Thread

Old Jul 27 2017, 06:05 AM

Default News about Flash Player

I just read these disturbing news about the demise of Adobe Flash that will affect all games. It reads Adobe Flash is dying and it even has a date: 2020.
What will happen to FARMTOWN my favorite game? Are there other alternatives to Adobe Flash? Is this being contemplated now?
[mod edit: link removed]
Thankk you
Enelya

Last edited by Taz D; Jul 28 2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old Jul 27 2017, 06:35 AM

Location: UK but i'd rather be somewhere hot and sunny :) with a swimming pool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enelyaa View Post
I just read these disturbing news about the demise of Adobe Flash that will affect all games. It reads Adobe Flash is dying and it even has a date: 2020.
What will happen to FARMTOWN my favorite game? Are there other alternatives to Adobe Flash? Is this being contemplated now?
[mod edit: link removed]
Thankk you
Enelya
Hi enelyaa,

I have removed the link you supplied as outside links are not permitted on the forum.

To answer your question, the developers said that if flash is phased out they should have enough time to convert the game to other technologies.
Old Jul 27 2017, 02:28 PM

Default Bye Bye Flash

I am confident that our FT developers will have whatever it takes to continue the game long after 2020.

Adobe is finally planning to kill off Flash once and for all. Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Safari have all been blocking Flash over the past year, but Adobe is now planning to remove support for it fully by the end of 2020. “We will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats,” explains an Adobe spokesperson.

A number of gaming, education, and video sites still use Flash, and Adobe says it remains committed to supporting the technology until 2020 alongside partners like Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla. Microsoft says it plans to disable Flash by default in Edge and Internet Explorer in mid to late 2019, with a full removal from all supported versions of Windows by 2020. Google will continue phasing out Flash over the next few years, while Mozilla says Firefox users will be able to choose which websites are able to run Flash next month and allow Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) users to keep using Flash until the end of 2020. Apple is also supportive of the 2020 end of life for Flash, and Safari currently requires explicit approval on each website even when Mac users opt to install Flash.

2020 will mark an end of an era for Flash, but one that feels like it has been a long time coming. HTML5 standards have been implemented across all modern web browsers, and the need for Flash just isn’t there anymore. An end to Flash will bring with it obvious improvements in security and just pure battery life on laptops and other mobile devices that still support the web technology.
Old Jul 27 2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFace View Post
I am confident that our FT developers will have whatever it takes to continue the game long after 2020.

Adobe is finally planning to kill off Flash once and for all. Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Safari have all been blocking Flash over the past year, but Adobe is now planning to remove support for it fully by the end of 2020. “We will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats,” explains an Adobe spokesperson.

A number of gaming, education, and video sites still use Flash, and Adobe says it remains committed to supporting the technology until 2020 alongside partners like Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla. Microsoft says it plans to disable Flash by default in Edge and Internet Explorer in mid to late 2019, with a full removal from all supported versions of Windows by 2020. Google will continue phasing out Flash over the next few years, while Mozilla says Firefox users will be able to choose which websites are able to run Flash next month and allow Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) users to keep using Flash until the end of 2020. Apple is also supportive of the 2020 end of life for Flash, and Safari currently requires explicit approval on each website even when Mac users opt to install Flash.

2020 will mark an end of an era for Flash, but one that feels like it has been a long time coming. HTML5 standards have been implemented across all modern web browsers, and the need for Flash just isn’t there anymore. An end to Flash will bring with it obvious improvements in security and just pure battery life on laptops and other mobile devices that still support the web technology.
Hi StoneFace

The developers have said that if this happens, there is time for them to switch to other technology.

LINKING YOUR FARM TO THE FORUM

SUPPORT TEAM

Granjera desde el 29 de Julio 2009
Old Jul 28 2017, 07:53 AM

Location: UK but i'd rather be somewhere hot and sunny :) with a swimming pool!

Information from the developers in July 27 2017 New Release

Note to our Fans: As some of you already know, Adobe recently announced that support for their Flash platform will be discontinued at the end of the year 2020. Rest assured that this will not affect Farmtown. We already started working on migrating the FarmTown game away from Flash and onto a newer and more resilient platform.

What does this mean for you? You won’t notice any significant difference when we upgrade the Farmtown game. In fact, we expect that the game will run faster, and it will let us add more features to the game that we haven’t been able to add due to the performance limitations of the existing Flash technology.

You will be able to continue playing Farmtown in your browser, in addition we’ll also add support for Facebook Gameroom for a better game experience.

In the name of the Farmtown team, we thank you for your continuous support and loyalty.
Old Sep 27 2017, 07:57 PM
Getting Started ( Level 1 )

Farmer Since: Mar 27 2009
Level:
Trophies: 0
XP:
Default Game Future

I just read that Firefox is doing away with Adobe and Flash. That is the only browser that I can use that uses that format. Why haven't you guys moved away from Flash? Why after MANY years is this still listed as a "Beta" test game? I've invested a lot of out-of-pocket money in this game and I don't want to lose that investment. So are we going to have a problem? Is this game going to be shut down? I'm using a Mac computer and Mac has no allowance for Flash or Adobe. Both are considered high risk options with a lot of Malware that is introduced through them.

Visit 's Farm

DB:W200, MPS:F4

Last edited by debsterns; Sep 27 2017 at 07:58 PM. Reason: I don't know why you show me as level 1 when I'm at 584!
Old Sep 27 2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsterns View Post
I just read that Firefox is doing away with Adobe and Flash. That is the only browser that I can use that uses that format. Why haven't you guys moved away from Flash? Why after MANY years is this still listed as a "Beta" test game? I've invested a lot of out-of-pocket money in this game and I don't want to lose that investment. So are we going to have a problem? Is this game going to be shut down? I'm using a Mac computer and Mac has no allowance for Flash or Adobe. Both are considered high risk options with a lot of Malware that is introduced through them.
Hi debsterns

I moved your post to General feedback

The developers posted a note about flash player and the game in the New Release July 27, 2017

Note to our Fans: As some of you already know, Adobe recently announced that support for their Flash platform will be discontinued at the end of the year 2020. Rest assured that this will not affect Farmtown. We already started working on migrating the FarmTown game away from Flash and onto a newer and more resilient platform.

What does this mean for you? You won’t notice any significant difference when we upgrade the Farmtown game. In fact, we expect that the game will run faster, and it will let us add more features to the game that we haven’t been able to add due to the performance limitations of the existing Flash technology.

You will be able to continue playing Farmtown in your browser, in addition we’ll also add support for Facebook Gameroom for a better game experience.

In the name of the Farmtown team, we thank you for your continuous support and loyalty.

SUPPORT TEAM

Old Dec 27 2017, 01:30 PM

Default What is going to happen to the game when Adobe no longer supports flash?

It's supposed to end by 2020. Will slashkey end the game or go to another format?
Old Dec 27 2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeranger View Post
It's supposed to end by 2020. Will slashkey end the game or go to another format?
Hi Freeranger

Raul posted about Flash in the New Release, July 27, 2017

SUPPORT TEAM

Old Feb 16 2018, 03:03 AM

Default Flash Player

I went to Best buy today and they said that Adobe Flash is "Dead" and if the game that we play requires flash then it is basically going to end up not able to play in future. Something to do with the game should automatically play without flash. I cannot remember what the type of program they use or file to make it just play automatically without Adobe Flash but could you enlighten me on this please. Thanks.
Closed Thread

Tags
2020, adobe, flash