Go Back   Farm Town > Feedback and Suggestions > General Feedback

Old Jan 29 2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvia8917 View Post
it's just not really possible for me to know so much about American literature... Just like I'm not going to ask "Which Emperor ordered the unification of writing characters in China?", even though it's pretty common knowledge in the place where I live. (The answer is Qin Shi Huang, by the way.)
Well, I agree, some questions might not be easily answered by those who are unfamiliar with American or English literature. But the questions I choose always relate to the crop I have. I would not ask, for example, 'How many Colonies were there, when what became the United States fought for independence from Great Britain?', because I cannot correlate the answer with any possible Farmtown crop. I would not ask, 'Who is the author of 'The Shining'', although many know it is Stephen King. I would ask 'Who wrote 'The Grapes of Wrath', if my current crop is grapes. (It was Steinbeck).

Quote:
As a matter of fact I used to hand out hiring tests too, but it was usually a mathematics question, so basically no information research is required. (And it's not stuff like "what is the square root of 45905 times the sum of 1298 and 4333 minus sin80", just simple stuff like "1+5*9") BUT then one day...

I gave out a math question, say, 1+5*9, by saying "I'll hire the first person who answers 1+5*9=? correctly".
I got a couple of answers saying 54.
I thought, well that's incorrect, but since nobody did get it correctly, so I hired the first person who answered anyway.
We went to my farm, and I started a chat by saying "the correct answer is 46 because in mathematics you should do multiplication and division before addition and subtraction".
And the person I hired replied, "Oh I never knew that. Never taught this at school."
CULTURAL SHOCK!!! In Hong Kong, "multiplication and division first, addition and subtraction later" is something that's taught in primary schools...
Here in the States, the arithmetic question would have been written:
1 + (5x9) = ? The brackets are used to indicate the separation of the figures. Without the brackets, the arithmetic would be done 'in order' of appearance, which is why you got answers of 54. Also, in the States, the symbol for multiplication is 'x', not '*'.

Quote:
By the way, once I also got someone who replied "I played this game for fun, not for doing mathematics". Well, to each their own, but to me, being challenged by single-digit multiplication is pretty lame, unless you are born or hit with some special conditions. And that's actually quite a rude response, too.
Well, I certainly have gotten similar replies, Silvia - from players who resent having to think for a moment, instead of beg. I just gently remind them that they have at their disposal an excellent tool, called the 'ignore' button, and encourage them to employ it!

Quote:
The people I hire with this strategy are all satisfactory workers so far, so I'm sticking to it.
I find all my employees wind up wanting to be buddies, so I imagine the reality is, those who enjoy a bit more of a challenge than, 'Who wants to harvest grapes', try to answer the employment quiz. Those who consider asking for a correct response to a quiz as a hiring tool being expected to 'jump through hoops' ignore my employment quiz. I'm pretty sure, with the tremendous number of folks playing this game, there is room at the marketplace for all.
Old Jan 29 2010, 01:59 AM

its been a while, but I have asked trivia questions to find a worker... I have even told a joke and hired the first one to say haha. They way I see it, if someone wants to do something like that to find a worker, then there shouldnt be anything keeping them from it. So long as they are being well behaved

http://apps.facebook.com/farmtown/pl...3214&farm_ix=Y
Old Jan 29 2010, 02:08 AM
Account Not Linked

I've seen a few (only a few) asking if workers want to plant for them? How does this work? I've never seen a feature for hiring to plant.
Old Jan 29 2010, 02:12 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Dungarees View Post
Yes but when I go to the MP to look for someone to work for me I'm wanting someone who knows what exactly I'm offering and isn't going to waste my time by saying yes to working then getting to my farm and saying..oh I don't wanna do this...I didn't realise....which is more often the case when people are playing little games with each other.
I've actually never had anyone come to my ranch or maze, and then say, 'I don't wanna do this ...' and leave. I have, on occasion, had workers go 'poof', but this is usually after they've experienced some server problem. I have myself accidentally gone 'poof', by inadvertently hitting one of the ads that border the game, when using the 'click and drag' to move my view of the farm upon which I'm working, so I imagine this has happened to others, as well.

Quote:
I'd happily ignore you if you're in the same MP as me, as I'm in the MP to look for workers I can't ignore those that are playing your "employment test" as you insist on calling it.
Hmmm. Well, sure you can, SD. Also, you can hire them before me, if you like! That's the beauty of the game, no? Play it as you like.

Quote:
Personally I just don't get what's wrong with just asking who wants to do xxxx harvest and the plough (if you're offering) or just leave it if you're not.
Absolutely nothing 'wrong' with that, as far as I can tell, SD. See above, beginning with 'Play it' and ending with ' as you like.'
Old Jan 29 2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofla's Rampage View Post
I've seen a few (only a few) asking if workers want to plant for them? How does this work? I've never seen a feature for hiring to plant.
they are prob'ly just being obnoxious

http://apps.facebook.com/farmtown/pl...3214&farm_ix=Y
Old Jan 29 2010, 06:56 AM

Have had some bad experiences hiring lately. One person thanked me profusely for helping them level up & then left not finishing, Had a couple of nutters too but that's life & I'm building up my buddy list. Had some great times being an employee, met some wonderful people & generally had fun. Personally I would never beg in the market place but I also have a great laugh at their expense. Enjoy P.s hate the people who at least dont say thankyou
Old Jan 29 2010, 07:08 AM
Account Not Linked

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa15531 View Post
I can't stand when a person harvests or plows and does half and stops. Also today I hired someone to harvest and plow and they agreed to both then during plowing had the nerve to message me and ask if I was going to help them plow???? i thought that was why I hired them.
Asking the farmer to help do the plowing is a new one on me. But (especially after a read through this thread) it never ceases to amaze/amuse me what some people come up with.

As for the ones who get halfway through the job and then stop ... cut them some slack. Most of the time it's not intentional. The most common reason is getting timed-out on the server, something they can't do anything about. Or they're having problems with their computer. Best to give them the benefit of the doubt. It takes only a few seconds to hire someone else to finish the job.
Old Jan 29 2010, 07:47 AM
Account Not Linked

Quote:
I don't hire people who are mute because I'm afraid they may not actually be playing at that moment.
Most of the time if they're mute, they've become fearful that if they say anything about wanting a job they'll be considered "beggers". Try it sometime; send a hire request to someone whose avatar is just standing there looking cute, and see how fast you get a response.

I have a hiring test of my own. If they're able to use a mouse, and can demonstrate that by clicking to accept my hiring request, the job is theirs. I don't care what they say or don't say in the MP. And if the job doesn't work out (i.e., they leave the farm for whatever reason) I go hire someone else.

The crops get harvested and the fields plowed regardless of who does them.
Old Jan 29 2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkRiverRancher View Post
Here in the States, the arithmetic question would have been written:
1 + (5x9) = ? The brackets are used to indicate the separation of the figures. Without the brackets, the arithmetic would be done 'in order' of appearance, which is why you got answers of 54. Also, in the States, the symbol for multiplication is 'x', not '*'.
In Hong Kong, the brackets are used to indicate when the "multiplication and division first" rule does not apply. 9*6+1=55, when 9*(6+1)=63. It can also be used to indicate multiplication when no other mathematical sign is found between the numbers, e.g. (9)(6+1)=63.

We actually use "x" here, too. Just that I'm used to type * on the keyboard. I am just bugged by the fact that the "x" on keyboard is intended as an alphabet instead of the multiplication sign. LOL Also you type * to do multiplication in the Windows software e.g. Calculator, MS Excel etc..

Quote:
I find all my employees wind up wanting to be buddies, so I imagine the reality is, those who enjoy a bit more of a challenge than, 'Who wants to harvest grapes', try to answer the employment quiz. Those who consider asking for a correct response to a quiz as a hiring tool being expected to 'jump through hoops' ignore my employment quiz. I'm pretty sure, with the tremendous number of folks playing this game, there is room at the marketplace for all.
Yep I got more buddying requests when I handed out hiring tests too. Now I've changed my practice they've become so rare that I get more buddying requests just standing in the market waiting to be hired. LOL But I guess that's more reason for me to ask direct questions, because I never check my buddy list when I have to hire, even though I accept every buddying request . I seldom hire neighbours too, but I don't see them online often anyway.
Old Jan 29 2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyMo View Post
Most of the time if they're mute, they've become fearful that if they say anything about wanting a job they'll be considered "beggers". Try it sometime; send a hire request to someone whose avatar is just standing there looking cute, and see how fast you get a response.

I have a hiring test of my own. If they're able to use a mouse, and can demonstrate that by clicking to accept my hiring request, the job is theirs. I don't care what they say or don't say in the MP. And if the job doesn't work out (i.e., they leave the farm for whatever reason) I go hire someone else.

The crops get harvested and the fields plowed regardless of who does them.
I don't really see why they will become fearful to say even one sentence. If even saying one sentence / responding to a question posted by another player could be considered begging, the chat function would be pretty useless. I don't mind employees leaving the work in the middle, either; I'm just of the mind that work is available to people who seek them appropriately. There're surely people who find silently waiting agreeable, but they're not the type of workers I prefer.