Go Back   Farm Town > Feedback and Suggestions > General Feedback
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Feb 02 2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkRiverRancher View Post
Here in the States, the arithmetic question would have been written:
1 + (5x9) = ? The brackets are used to indicate the separation of the figures. Without the brackets, the arithmetic would be done 'in order' of appearance, which is why you got answers of 54. Also, in the States, the symbol for multiplication is 'x', not '*'.
As someone who has lived in the states her whole life, I have to disagree with this entirely. I was taught about order of operations in elementary school (primary school). The only time I would use parentheses would be to say (1+5)9 or (1+5)*9 which is not how it is written. It is written to do the multiplication first. The symbol for multiplication is x is the younger grades, but as soon as you start to get into higher math (like pre-algebra probably) you start using the * symbol when typing it out. When writing, you just use a dot (Or as I put above, just out it next to the parentheses.)

Sorry to get on my high horse about this, it just bothered me.

two...

Don't drink and drive. If you hit a bump, you might spill your drink!
Old Feb 02 2010, 08:49 AM
Account Not Linked

quick little question
what's with the mathmatical debate?
Old Feb 02 2010, 08:53 AM

I dunno If you want, we can change it to propper english...

Riverview plantation
Old Feb 02 2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rionach View Post
quick little question
what's with the mathmatical debate?
I was just peeved. But that's just me. I should have stated something else to stay on topic as well. I also had to run to class, so I didn't read the entire second half of the thread to see that someone else already called them on it.

I like to hire two people, but I will go with one if i have the time. I prefer to hire neighbors, but will go to the marketplace if I have to. When I have pineapples (like I do now) and I am in the marketplace, I tell people that I am harvesting raspberries (Someone else here does this as well, but I don't remember who). I don't mention anything about plowing. If someone really wants a job, they will reply to me by name. That way I know they are talking to me. Yes. I am picky.

two...

Old Feb 02 2010, 11:06 AM

Wow..this math thread is still going on?
Old Feb 02 2010, 12:45 PM
Account Not Linked

How do you get hired if you don't have anything to sell at the market? I can't seem to find the way there ha ha my GPS is broken.

I am glad that there was a rant about turning off trees tho because I was hired and didnt see half the crops till I turned them off.
cheers for that!
Old Feb 02 2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rionach View Post
How do you get hired if you don't have anything to sell at the market? I can't seem to find the way there ha ha my GPS is broken.
Click on the map at the bottom right of your screen. It is listed there

two...

Old Feb 03 2010, 11:20 PM

Sometimes I wonder about the reason for hiring people of one gender, especially everyone can have an avatar of a different gender.

I am a female who has a male avatar. Once I was hired by this female avatar, and throughout my job "she" was saying things like "won't hire girls again", "stupid, lazy and always whining". It makes me somehow baffled - if everyone stops hiring female avatars, just like "herself" (I never did ask if "she" was a girl in reality as it seemed rude), "she" would probably never get hired.

Ok, I admit I'm just trying to say something on-topic before I dive into math again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charo View Post
The order of priority is multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.

The mnemonic is, "My Dear Aunt Sally."
LOL They definitely teach differently here, in Hong Kong.

Yesterday I was checking homework for a primary three students (8-9 years old), and her math textbook definitely says "in calculation which involves both addition and subtraction, do it from left to right if there're no brackets".

By the way, I don't know how high-levelled one should be in order to use "." in multiplication, although I've seen it. From my own experience, I started abondoning "x" and adopted parentheses in multiplication when I was 14-15, not because I was taught to do so, but it was so much more convenient. I abadoned the division sign too, and only expressed division in fractions ever since.
Old Feb 03 2010, 11:39 PM
Account Not Linked

It is really to bad that so many folks are left without manners : (
I try to do the work I was hired for and thank the farmer when I'm done if they don't hire me to plow in a min. I go. We should all remember that - things happen sometimes when your on the computer, Phones, kids, and maybe even emergency's.

happy Farming All : )
Old Feb 04 2010, 09:14 AM

Default Intervention on the farm.....

Truth be told I dont play farm town as much as I used to, I plant 3 day crops and come back when they are done and hire at the mp to harvest and plow. The last few times I have done this however I have had issues with my hired hands. I have 3 farms 2 of which have over 800 plots on them. I hire two people to work, no more, no less. Most of the time it goes just fine however the last two times I've hired theres been tension on the farm.

Both times I interviened telling them there was plenty to go around. My farms can be difficult to harvest as I have tree groves on top of crops so sometimes I have to explain things to people that dont understand how the prefrences work. My question is, how many of you have found yourself in this situation and what exactly do you do about it?

Unfortunately I can be a confrontational person. I dont need to tell people where to go every time I have to hire. Im having a hard enough time keeping interest in farmtown right now much less having childish arguments to deal with.

Riverview plantation