Go Back   Farm Town > Feedback and Suggestions > General Feedback
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Jan 29 2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvia8917 View Post
There're surely people who find silently waiting agreeable, but they're not the type of workers I prefer.
I agree, Silvia ... the game is not much fun with non-communicative players. That style suits Farmville better, I think! lol Still, I know that many players don't type, so I try not to be bothered if folks don't really chat much, once they're hired.

What will get someone knocked off my buddy list is sending me one of those 'chain' note messages, 'send this note to everyone on your buddy list, and FT will give you a million coins' nonsense, or the 'ignore the player (fill in name), they will infect your pc with a virus!!!' Any player that stupid is not a player I want to be on my farm! lol
Old Jan 29 2010, 12:19 PM
Account Not Linked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkRiverRancher View Post
I agree, Silvia ... the game is not much fun with non-communicative players. That style suits Farmville better, I think! lol Still, I know that many players don't type, so I try not to be bothered if folks don't really chat much, once they're hired.
Well, that's nice of you. Trying not to be bothered, I mean.

But consider this: For many players, it's rather difficult to "chat" while also doing the job you hired them to do. Some -- l'm one -- find it easier to harvest/plow in full-screen. Chat's disabled there. I do pop out of full-screen when the job is done, thank the farmer, and sometimes even comment on something I like about their farm. But chatting away while I'm also trying to a) get their harvesting/plowing done and b) watch to make sure I'm not getting timed-out (and attempting a workaround if that happens) doesn't leave a whole lot of room for small talk.

That particular style of "non-communication" doesn't suit FV, either, because there's NO real-time social interaction there whatsoever. They may both be farm games, but on that aspect of game play you're attempting to compare apples to oranges. Or making huge assumptions about why some hired workers don't chat much. Or both.

If it's conversation you want, try an Inn; in fact, I'm pretty sure any Inn you enter would be very entertained by those trivia quizzes.

Quote:
What will get someone knocked off my buddy list is sending me one of those 'chain' note messages, 'send this note to everyone on your buddy list, and FT will give you a million coins' nonsense, or the 'ignore the player (fill in name), they will infect your pc with a virus!!!' Any player that stupid is not a player I want to be on my farm! lol
I don't suppose you could just ignore the chain messages? Or better yet, reply back (since you're an advocate of communication) and nicely explain to the buddy or neighbor what these really are? For pete's sake, not everyone is hoax-savvy and it doesn't mean they're stupid.
Old Jan 29 2010, 01:29 PM

sometimes? I hire two people instead of just one

Riverview plantation
Old Jan 29 2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyMo View Post
Well, that's nice of you. Trying not to be bothered, I mean.

But consider this: For many players, it's rather difficult to "chat" while also doing the job you hired them to do. Some -- l'm one -- find it easier to harvest/plow in full-screen. Chat's disabled there. I do pop out of full-screen when the job is done, thank the farmer, and sometimes even comment on something I like about their farm. But chatting away while I'm also trying to a) get their harvesting/plowing done and b) watch to make sure I'm not getting timed-out (and attempting a workaround if that happens) doesn't leave a whole lot of room for small talk.

That particular style of "non-communication" doesn't suit FV, either, because there's NO real-time social interaction there whatsoever. They may both be farm games, but on that aspect of game play you're attempting to compare apples to oranges. Or making huge assumptions about why some hired workers don't chat much. Or both.

If it's conversation you want, try an Inn; in fact, I'm pretty sure any Inn you enter would be very entertained by those trivia quizzes.

I don't suppose you could just ignore the chain messages? Or better yet, reply back (since you're an advocate of communication) and nicely explain to the buddy or neighbor what these really are? For pete's sake, not everyone is hoax-savvy and it doesn't mean they're stupid.
Am I an "advocate of communication" just because I demand one reply before hiring? As far as I can remember, we're just talking about things before we hire. The chatting part is merely an observed phenomenon that people replying to hiring quizzes are usually more chatty.

And it's not conversation I want, actually. I just want to make sure that I hire someone who's really looking for work, and will quickly reply to my request. I don't find waiting for a reply interesting, though it may be viewed differently by others.

They can totally just answer my one question, get hired, go to my farm and immediately go full-screen. Finishing the job and leaving before saying "thank you" is a bit rude, but then I can't possibly control that, so I never mind.

Actually there's no way to control what a farmer does AFTER the hiring request, be it chatty, mute, going full-screen, neglecting trees, snatching work, or leaving the work in the middle. The ignore button is the most that we can do. So discussing the preference AFTER hiring is pretty futile.

But there are more choices we can make BEFORE hiring. Randomly picking just anybody is a choice, not picking people who don't reply to direct questions is a choice, hiring people who are proactive enough to answer "trivia quizzes" is another choice. There are different types of employees and different types of employers. That's all.

By the way, I reply people who send me chain messages with something like "now you've sent the message do you get what you've been promised?" I never get any answer back. LOL
Old Jan 30 2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
chatting away while I'm also trying to a) get their harvesting/plowing done and b) watch to make sure I'm not getting timed-out (and attempting a workaround if that happens) doesn't leave a whole lot of room for small talk.
Yes, I suppose for some, it is a real challenge to actually stop for a moment and reply to an inquiry or comment by the hiring farmer. Happily, for those, being in a hurry to get the job done, and 'get out of there', is certainly one way to play the game; no doubt there are hiring farmers out there who just want the job done as fast as possible.

Quote:
I frequent the inn, but not for hiring, only for camaraderie. If you don't mind (and even if you do ... ), I'll have conversation where, and when, I choose. Those at the marketplace who care to converse, will - those who do not, won't. Seems simple enough, to me - although I'll allow that for some, it might be a difficult concept to grasp: that some players might enjoy the interaction of a hiring process that includes communicating beyond, 'Hire me, hire me, hire me', or beyond just standing around waiting to be selected. For those so inclined, there is always the 'ignore' option.

Quote:
You can suppose whatever you choose, but no, I don't ignore the 'chain' messages. I reply to the sender, advising them that such 'chain' messages have a specific purpose, by their creators - that purpose is to overwhelm, as often as possible, the FT server, just as it is the same intent when such creators 'spam' your email. I advise such 'hoax-naive' players that when they have any doubts about the authenticity of messages received, they need only visit the forums, for advice. It might not be stupidity, to 'believe' that FT is going to give you $500,000 'cash' and advance you automatically to level 60 if you 'send this message to everyone on your buddy list'; but, to me, it certainly does suggest a lack of ..... good sense. It's my prerogative to remove 'buddies' lacking what I consider 'good sense', with or without an explanation, no?

"What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS!
Then, there would be fewer NUTS running loose -
(or running for public office!)
Old Jan 30 2010, 09:09 AM
Account Not Linked

I'm one of those farmers that just wants the job done. I don't even go back to my farm now until a little later in the day usually after I hire someone. I don't feel any need to stand around and watch what they are doing and I don't have any desire to chat with people. I just want the work done. If someone is upset because I'm not chatting with them on my farm they can give up their crop profit or experience points and go elsewhere to be hired.
Old Jan 30 2010, 03:56 PM

What I am seeing alot lately is someone asking "If you want a job stand by me" or "If you want a job say my name" and the whole MP "runs over to the hirer. If my avatar was real it would be trampled to death.

I stay put right where I am and I stay quiet. This usually gets me the job.
Old Jan 30 2010, 05:06 PM

[I]I just enjoy playing Farm Town... I go to the Market Place to get jobs to harvest or plow... My computer is slow at times... but that's ok... I just do what I can and am learning... It is fun...

Sure don't like when people get cranky or ugly... no need for that...

Enjoy!!![/i]
Old Jan 30 2010, 05:37 PM

its more likely to get hired of you arent begging.... the ones who beg constantly dont even see the times when people are looking for employees so the end up missing out lol

http://apps.facebook.com/farmtown/pl...3214&farm_ix=Y
Old Jan 30 2010, 09:22 PM

[quote=JAS0643;3110366]Yes this is a game but this to me is just manipulative. I don't understand why people have to play such games with others in the game. I play this GAME to farm not to answer trivia questions and I have a feeling that you have a hard time finding workers.

See, that's what makes it fun to play this game - everyone can find their own level of entertainment and amusement.

I would absolutely leap to find a riddle job or take a quiz in order to get hired. I find the people that pose those quizzes and riddles LOVE to chat while I work, and I enjoy the chatting as well. I have made good friends with people, even becoming neighbors with them, because of fun chats after answering a riddle in the MP.

Isn't it wonderful that we have the option to ignore (via button or just not responding) anyone who we don't appreciate?

I am gld the devs put the chat feature in, and I play this game and deleted Farmville because it had no interaction with other people.