Go Back   Farm Town > Feedback and Suggestions > General Feedback

Old Jan 27 2010, 09:47 AM

I don't see anything wrong with a fun challenge as long as the hirees in the MP understand that it's a game. Otherwise as you say, hit the ignore button.

However, the following happened to me, and it was definitely wrong:

A few weeks ago I was in the MP and was hired for harvesting. The farmer in question turned out to be a complete twit, IMO. First, he PM'd me and asked me to meet him at his farm, claiming he had tons of three-day crops and he was having trouble hiring from the MP. Not a problem, I'm okay with meeting a farmer even though sometimes those invites turn out to be another way to rid the MP of competition.

So I went to his farm. He met me there and yes, his farm was loaded. He asked me to wait while his other workers showed up, and he would hire all of us at once. Okay, not a problem at all. In a few minutes, two others showed up. We all waited for the longest time, while this guy stood there without a word.

Finally, he instructed us to line up at a center fence and wait for him. Okay, strange, but what the heck. We lined up. More silence (at this point I had been on this guy's farm for over five minutes, waiting). Then he told us before he could hire us, he would have to know how many coins we already had, and what our EXP-point number was. Only then would he hire us...

I asked him why in the world he would want to know something I feel is pretty personal, that I felt uncomfortable giving out that kind of info. He replied that it was his farm, his rules, and that anyone who refused would have to leave. I then told him he was ridiculous, and left.

Yes, I could have lied to him, given him any bogus number. But at that point I figured I was dealing with a whack-doodle with a control fetish. Better to get out of it all, and leave.

I like to harvest and play this game, same as anyone else. I don't mind the little hiring games often found in the MP, as long as it's not invasive, rude, condescending or the like. But I refuse to participate in a little power/control play just so that some whack-doodle can feel like a Master of the Universe.

ElkRiverRancher, your method of hiring sounds harmless and if I ever meet you in the MP I might give it a go if you offer it. But I am proceeding with caution these days especially when someone wants to know my financial worth. What's next, asking me what color thong I wear???

Oop. TMI!

Little Wing

http://apps.facebook.com/farmtown/?farm_id=1640090895
Old Jan 27 2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Dungarees View Post
..." I want people who are paying attention to what I'm asking for and what I'm offering. They can't do that playing games ...'
That's confusing, to me, SD ... I am under the impression that 'Farmtown' is a game .... soooo, 'playing games' is what all participants are doing, no? Happily, this game can be played in a number of ways.
As it happens, my employment test is an interesting way, IMHO, to see who is paying attention. Plus, with the use of the ignore button, it's also easy to 'eliminate' me from your own 'hiring method'. I also find the employment test a way to see if there are any individuals who remember anything from their school years ("Things I would have learned in school, if only I'd been paying attention ....").
Old Jan 27 2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Wing View Post
I don't see anything wrong with a fun challenge as long as the hirees in the MP understand that it's a game. Otherwise as you say, hit the ignore button.
Any farmers at the marketplace who don't understand that it's a game are confusing 'Farmtown' with real farming ... something that just strikes me as absurd ...

Quote:
However, the following happened to me, and it was definitely wrong(review LW's experience!) I refuse to participate in a little power/control play just so that some whack-doodle can feel like a Master of the Universe.
Oh, I am sooo with you, LW - this individual was beyond the pale - and sounds a bit like a Nazi SS personality, IMHO. I would have run like a frightened bunny - but here's something that might not have occurred to you ... anyone at the marketplace can find out your level, and your xp, just by visiting your farm (they need no invitation, you understand ... just clicking the player's avatar, one can visit the player's farm[s]). I don't confuse someone asking me how much 'coin' I have at FT with asking me how much 'coin' I have, in 'real' life! lol That said, I can just imagine what this 'individual' was doing, whilst he was lining up all his potential victims! lol

Quote:
ElkRiverRancher, your method of hiring sounds harmless and if I ever meet you in the MP I might give it a go if you offer it. But I am proceeding with caution these days especially when someone wants to know my financial worth. What's next, asking me what color thong I wear???

Oop. TMI!

Little Wing
I find the employment test stimulates conversation ... and IMHO, this game was developed with a 'chat' window for just that purpose. Otherwise, why have the potential to have 'conversations', at all? Farmville is the place for those 'players' who don't wish to communicate with other players, no?

Well, speaking of employment, etc., I have two farms, ready to reap and plow. TTFN!
Old Jan 27 2010, 10:39 AM
Account Not Linked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkRiverRancher View Post
That's confusing, to me, SD ... I am under the impression that 'Farmtown' is a game .... soooo, 'playing games' is what all participants are doing, no? Happily, this game can be played in a number of ways.
As it happens, my employment test is an interesting way, IMHO, to see who is paying attention. Plus, with the use of the ignore button, it's also easy to 'eliminate' me from your own 'hiring method'. I also find the employment test a way to see if there are any individuals who remember anything from their school years ("Things I would have learned in school, if only I'd been paying attention ....").
To each his/her own, Elk. More power to you. But you DO realize that you can't exactly commandeer a marketplace for your hiring test don't you? Seeing that people pop in all the time, regardless of your announcement to put you on ignore.

Personally, I prefer not to jump through hoops to get a harvest/plow job. After all, this IS just a game. Being asked to play another one within it is redundant.

If you're ever curious as to how much trivia I've retained from my school days, feel free to PM me with a pop quiz. But if we encounter each other at the MP I'll probably not bother putting you on ignore, just pop out to another MP while you quiz whoever has the patience to put up with it (bless their hearts).
Old Jan 27 2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkRiverRancher;3109154

Oh, I am sooo with you, LW - this individual was beyond the pale - and sounds a bit like a Nazi SS personality, IMHO. I would have run like a frightened bunny - but here's something that might not have occurred to you ... anyone at the marketplace can find out your level, and your xp, just by visiting your farm (they need no invitation, you understand ... just clicking the player's avatar, one can visit the player's farm[s
). I don't confuse someone asking me how much 'coin' I have at FT with asking me how much 'coin' I have, in 'real' life! lol That said, I can just imagine what this 'individual' was doing, whilst he was lining up all his potential victims! lol
<g> Oh, I knew he wanted the total of my FT coinage, most likely because he's just plain nosy. That was the 'personal info' I was talking about. Sure, anyone can click on my little avatar and find out my level and points, no big secret nor do I care if they have that info. But my FT money is not up for discussion. Heck, even my neighbors - who know this info thanks to the 'neighbors link'- would not chat me up in front of other unfamiliar FT-ers and ask me that kind of thing!

It's a fun game and thanks to the inventiveness of all who play Farm Town, additional layers of fun are added daily. Nothing wrong with any of it, 'tis all good.

Little Wing

http://apps.facebook.com/farmtown/?farm_id=1640090895
Old Jan 27 2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyMo View Post
To each his/her own, Elk. More power to you. But you DO realize that you can't exactly commandeer a marketplace for your hiring test don't you? Seeing that people pop in all the time, regardless of your announcement to put you on ignore.

Personally, I prefer not to jump through hoops to get a harvest/plow job. After all, this IS just a game. Being asked to play another one within it is redundant.

If you're ever curious as to how much trivia I've retained from my school days, feel free to PM me with a pop quiz. But if we encounter each other at the MP I'll probably not bother putting you on ignore, just pop out to another MP while you quiz whoever has the patience to put up with it (bless their hearts).
I agree. Most people aren't in the MP for test period. Frankly I graduated a long time ago and just want to relax and "play a game" on my computer before starting my housework for the day. And..TBH, I haven't even heard of some of the stuff you are asking about. Some of it sounds a little religious, which, if what I have heard about FT is true, most people are from everywhere in the world, of all different religions so they probably won't get hired. And, in the real world, if that's what we are basing on, wouldn't that also be discrimination on the basis of religion? :0)

(BTW, in case you hadn't figured it out yet, I am messing with you on the last point. Please don't take it seriously and bash me..as this IS just a game, right>?)
Old Jan 27 2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
To each his/her own, Elk. More power to you. But you DO realize that you can't exactly commandeer a marketplace for your hiring test don't you?
Commandeer? Hardly .... and for commandeering, you really can't 'beat' the players who use both avatar names that take up more than 'one line' (I've seen as much as three, regularly), and then use one line for each letter:
  • P
  • L
  • O
  • W
  • I
  • N
  • G
or for 'begging':
  • hire me PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

So, I think writing a single sentence, then following it with the 'riddle', is hardly commandeering.

Quote:

Well, just a 'click and ignore' seems easier to me, but as you say, to each, their own.
Old Jan 27 2010, 12:48 PM

Oh wait! What about the ones that do those AND type in all caps AND do what you said with the multiples of the same letter for like twenty time so that it takes up the whole chat box and when you try to scroll past it, they keep it up. I have tried to use the ignore feature, but when you didn't catch the name the first time and they keep doing it so that the scroll won't work, it's kinda hard to ignore them.
AND the ones that jump in front of you..I mean RIGHT in front of you so that your avatar is hidden either behind or IN theirs as if they think that makes them more appealing to a prospective boss.
Old Jan 27 2010, 01:12 PM
Account Not Linked

*stumbles in & laughs her *ahem* butt off*

Old Jan 27 2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
*stumbles in & laughs her *ahem* butt off*
He he he, your butt jiggles when you laugh it off

Riverview plantation