Go Back   Farm Town > Help & Support > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old Dec 23 2009, 02:21 AM

As someone said earlier in the thread, perhaps it would reduce our frustration if we would just leave when too many people are there, and look for other work - although that doesn't help much when others are hired after us.

Also musings on the concurrency/perf from a dev perspective... I don't know how it's set up serverside, but would a byte map of the squares (with flags for plowed/harvested states), kept in memory for active farms, with monitor locking for operations, take care of concurrency collisions? Or maybe it's shared state between servers in a server farm that is at issue? Also does any batching happen in the client/server communications?
Old Dec 23 2009, 02:24 AM
Getting Started ( Level 1 )

Farmer Since: Mar 27 2009
Level:
Trophies: 0
XP:

This new system is the pits, to slow and I time out because I can't get anything done now. I'd rather see a limit of number of people hired, like 2 for plowing and 2 for harvesting.
I'd like to see a fire button also.

Visit 's Farm

DB:W20, MPS:C20
Old Dec 23 2009, 02:25 AM
Account Not Linked

Or maybe don't impose a limit on the number of neighbors you can hire.
Old Dec 23 2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Hi There,

We have been monitoring you feedback and most likely we will be reverting to the old version early tomorrow and try to find a better compromise.

One of the alternatives that we considered was to only allow one worker harvesting and one worker plowing on your farm at the same time. This was also suggested by several other users on the other thread, however we thought that was going to be even more problematic.

Please provide some feedback about this other alternative on this thread, or if you rather prefer the way it was before, unlimited hiring, faster work but more potential for collisions and lost coins/XP.

thanks

--Raul
For what it is worth, I HATE the idea of only being able to hire one person (or any limit) at a time. Many of us have, since the early days, had "harvesting parties" where the whole point is to gather a large group together to all compete for the harvest (and now plowing). This would SIGNIFICANTLY change the dynamic of the game for me if we were limited in how many people we hired.

After reading the endless complaints here tonight, I went to the market, got hired and found that AS LONG AS I READ WHAT YOU HAD WRITTEN, I had no significant problem harvesting or plowing. I could NOT randomly click all over, and had to work one section of the farm at a time, but it was STILL MUCH EASIER and MUCH FASTER than it used to be a few months ago. Yes... it was A BIT slower, but still VERY REASONABLE. I am really having a very hard time understanding why everyone is SO upset about this - except that they have not given it a CHANCE, and have not made any attempt to adapt to the new way of harvesting.

I wonder how many people possibly did not have their preferences set correctly (sometimes updates reset them to an alternate setting) or how many of those (and I know it is not all of them) who are complaining are using programs to do their farming for them... Those are the only two reasons that I can see for the level of hostility I have seen tonight over this issue.

That is MY two cents worth - as a PLAYER, NOT as a mod.

Last edited by Wild; Dec 23 2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old Dec 23 2009, 02:29 AM

I've been playing Farm Town for the better part of a year now, and was so happy when you changed it from the old slow way, and then this happened. I'm so glad you'll be reverting back! One reason I like this game over others is that the graphics are much more realistic. The recent update change seemed to make the game more animated ... especially the harvesting tool being so huge, and the seed bag... It basically takes up the whole screen! It is waaay too slow, and all of my friends had the same complaint without realizing what had happened.
I also think being able to hire just one farmer is no good either. Sometimes a couple of my friends get together on someone's farm and chat away while working together. I have many large farms with enough work to hire plenty of farmers. I think the choice should be ours. If someone hired from the marketplace feels that there are too many workers on a farm, they have the option to leave. I'm really not OK with only being able to hire one person, and can't stand the thought of another day of the game being SO SLOW. It's just not fun anymore, and I simply don't have another hour to sit and watch somebody harvest my farm, plot by plot. It's ridiculous! All the cry babies made things so much worse. I'd rather lose a few coins and exp points than keep it like this. I also love the idea of a Fire button. I have needed one plenty of times. I love Farm Town and will now look forward to tomorrow when I log on.
Thanks again Farm Town
http://apps.facebook.com/farmtown/?farm_id=1556526799

Last edited by Jwebb; Dec 23 2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old Dec 23 2009, 02:31 AM
Account Not Linked

Wink Thank You for reverting back to pre 12-22,suggestions

I do appreciate that we will be reverting back to the previous version, until a compromise can be determined.

Limit the active workers on a farm, corresponding to the size of the farm.

Boot or fire button that when used a total of 3 times prevents either party from accessing the others farm and limit the ability of hiring/accepting job from each other, permanently.(if used as a weapon to randomly boot people, the person will eventually run out of people to boot! and the people getting booted will either learn to behave or they will exhaust the people they can harass) to clarify , it is a farmer to farmer penalty, so that the "victims" of malicious booters, do not actually get blocked from the game, just from the person who repeatedly booted them.

I LOVED this game as it was, occasional glitches and all. I am THRILLED to hear you will revert back to the game I Loved so much, prior to the fiasco of the 12/22 release!!!!
Old Dec 23 2009, 02:35 AM

I would be in favor of reasonable limits such as:

Max 4 workers at any given time on the largest size farm; prorate it down for smaller farms (somewhere drop to 3, somewhere drop to 2, smallest farm max at 1). Any mix of workers, but the max only limiting workers. People visiting you on your farm don't count against the number of workers.

If we do get limited, it would REALLY be nice to have a Fire option that would reset their screen back to their own farm, ending the hire. That way, you don't end up with someone really slow or distasteful working for you beyond what you are willing to put up with.
Old Dec 23 2009, 02:36 AM

I prefer the old way and I'd rather see a limit of number of people hired, like 2 for plowing and 2 for harvesting.
Old Dec 23 2009, 02:37 AM

I don't like the idea of one harvester and one plower. They take too long. Especially when I have a 24x24 farm of nothing but fields.
Old Dec 23 2009, 02:38 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to ScottLanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crodgers View Post
I would be in favor of reasonable limits such as:

Max 4 workers at any given time on the largest size farm; prorate it down for smaller farms (somewhere drop to 3, somewhere drop to 2, smallest farm max at 1). Any mix of workers, but the max only limiting workers. People visiting you on your farm don't count against the number of workers.

If we do get limited, it would REALLY be nice to have a Fire option that would reset their screen back to their own farm, ending the hire. That way, you don't end up with someone really slow or distasteful working for you beyond what you are willing to put up with.
4 workers is too many. If a farmer is in that big of a hurry, they need to find another game that doesn't require as much time.
Closed Thread