Farm Town

Farm Town (https://www.slashkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archives Other Languages (https://www.slashkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=270)
-   -   English Please Not American (https://www.slashkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86618)

olebut Jul 06 2009 07:35 AM

English Please Not American

yes I may be being pedantic, but please can we have English as well as American we do not speak American in the UK for instance we spell Plough Plough not plow as you do and it annoys me that we are not able to speak our language when you have so many other languages available thank you others=wise good fun if alittle addcitive

Cuda Jul 06 2009 08:06 AM

Apparently you don't use punctuation in England either. I guess America invented that, too. Seriously, there are dozens of countries that play this game and the developers are from America, so it stands to reason they would spell things the American way.

missgray Jul 06 2009 08:07 AM

Hi there :)
Do you mean the toolbars on the farms? Not sure they adjust for the multitude of 'different' languages and cultures such as 'American' or..ahem..'English'.
Here on the Forum however, please feel free to spell(or misspell) anyway you wish .. as long as it isn't profane, noone will mind or(for the most part) criticize.

Gregh Jul 06 2009 08:08 AM

I want Australian and New Zealand. If he can have English and Americans can have American I want my languages represented! :D

navstar Jul 06 2009 10:18 AM

if the devs are american then why british spelling of nieghbours?

Darklady Jul 06 2009 10:26 AM

Navstart has a good point there - plus I thought a "plough" is the actual machinery used to "plow" a field? Therefore we spend our time plowing (seeing as we have no machinery) - not ploughing! If you really want to get pedantic then you really do need to check your capitals and spacing - re-reading your post would be good before actually posting! :rolleyes: :p

missgray Jul 06 2009 10:27 AM

lol..maybe we could talk them into a compromise..swap neighbors for neighbours and plough for plow..

Karla Mae Jul 06 2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olebut (Post 977062)
yes I may be being pedantic, but please can we have English as well as American we do not speak American in the UK for instance we spell Plough Plough not plow as you do and it annoys me that we are not able to speak our language when you have so many other languages available thank you others=wise good fun if alittle addcitive

I thought 'plough' was the apparatis, and 'plow' was the function...? You plow a field with a plough...(?) But thats really picking fly poop out of pepper. Then we have all the 'to', and too's...your, you're's and there, their and they're's !! oh my....

Cuda Jul 06 2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darklady (Post 978314)
Navstart has a good point there - plus I thought a "plough" is the actual machinery used to "plow" a field?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plough#cite_ref-0
Quote:

In English, as in other Germanic languages, the plough was traditionally known by other names, e.g. Old English sulh, Old High German medela, geiza, or huohili, and Old Norse arðr, all presumably referring to the scratch plough.

The current word plough also comes from Germanic, but it appears relatively late (it is absent from Gothic), and is thought to be a loanword from one of the north Italic languages. In these it had different meanings: in Raetic plaumorati (Pliny), and in Latin plaustrum "wagon, cart", plōstrum, plōstellum "cart", and plōxenum, plōximum "cart box".[1][2]

The word is first attested in Germanic as Lombardic plōvum, referring to the wheeled heavy plough. From Germanic, the term was borrowed into Balto-Slavic languages giving Old Church Slavonic plugǔ and Lithuanian plúgas. Ultimately, the word is thought to derive from an ancestral PIE *blōkó, related to Armenian pelem "to dig" and Welsh bwlch "gap, notch".[3][4]

Honey Wheat Jul 06 2009 11:11 AM

When all else fails I speak the universal language of pirate!