Farm Town

Farm Town (https://www.slashkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Feedback (https://www.slashkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Discussions about Quests (https://www.slashkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468426)

samsmum Jan 28 2012 07:07 PM

[quote=eleflump;5028170]Hi harvest moon yes I tried buying new trees and chopping those after the first couple of hundred didnt register lol but that made no difference either. Wull try agaun tomorrow once they regrow.i also used the axe not chainsaw though a friend had pine quest yesterday and used chainsaw and it worked so might try that if its still not working. Failing all of that I guess i,ll just have to wait 4 days for time to run out,and hope I have better luck on next one lol happy farming:-D[/QUOTE

might be a stupid question but the quest you are doing does require maple logs and not maple sap? Only thing I can think of to make the ones you have chopped not register

Taz D Jan 28 2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jars7 (Post 5028130)
Where do you find the quests? I can't find them.

In the toolbox above the Trophies.

JAS0643 Jan 28 2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. H (Post 5028162)
I see your point, dixiegirl. A player shouldn't be required to have FC facilities to do the quests. That will only alienate players that can't afford them or chose not to purchase them.

I haven't done any quests that involve trees yet but I don't think we should have to plant trees for a quest when we already have dozens, or in my case, hundreds of most of the important trees.

I'm sure the quests will change and evolve over time and many of the kinks will be worked out.

At some point we can work others facilities to finish a question so not having a facility won't be a problem then. Hopefully that will be put in place soon. Until then people can do the ones they can and give feedback on them. This is new in the game and I am sure the developers will make changes based on feedback given.

Happy pants Jan 28 2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artisanrox (Post 5027794)
My first quest involves making 25 hot chocolate drinks. I have all the facilities for that, so that's not the problem. We'll see what the future brings.

I hope all of you begging for to-do lists are happy. -_-

Actually..... yeah. I find the quests kind of fun and something new to think about. Thanks for asking.

dmccrack2000 Jan 29 2012 01:04 AM

My first quest I can do, but the second I can't, so am I just stuck? It looks like you have to do one after the other, so if I can't do #2 is that just the end of quests for me, or will they switch around so I can pick and choose? I am not going to buy facilities just for quests. Especially until I see what the payoff is going to be!

Farmgirl_Su Jan 29 2012 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmccrack2000 (Post 5028466)
My first quest I can do, but the second I can't, so am I just stuck? It looks like you have to do one after the other, so if I can't do #2 is that just the end of quests for me, or will they switch around so I can pick and choose? I am not going to buy facilities just for quests. Especially until I see what the payoff is going to be!

I don't think so,i think once a new one starts each day up to your grade limit.if you cannot do one it will run its time out and end.

i finished my first one yesterday and i got a few short of 10 million coin .So yes well worth doing I think.

Papi Jan 29 2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavenda (Post 5026418)
daughter's second quest is also for facilities she doesn't have. She's not happy at all, particuarly after I have told her the money others are getting from their quests. If goods earned from others don't count yet, perhaps they could have made sure the quests offered were ones people actually had facilities for (no idea how easy that might be to code, but it seems to be making quite a few people unhappy)

I kinda' thought that was how it would be ... a random selection from the facilities a player owns. But ... I've got one open now that requires a facility (a CA$H facility, no less) that I don't have. Yet.

Devs - might this be an opportunity for a player option? "Only give me quests from my current facilities" which would return less reward per completed quest vs. "Give me quests that might include new (to me) facilities" with a greater reward for completion.

Papi Jan 29 2012 02:25 AM

My current quest:

Produce 4 Salami
5 Days

2 Peppers (harvest, 40 hour crop)
-> 2 Chili Powder (produce)
1 Salt (produce, 5 hour imposed wait)
1 Meat (order, 1 hour imposed wait)
1 Pork (order, 1 hour imposed wait)

4 Salami (produce)

Farmgirl_Su Jan 29 2012 02:27 AM

Like others I have designated a farm for Quests on it i have put 10 of every kind of tree which I will leave ready. I am also going to have just a few of each crop on the go.Im really enjoying this, its fun and adds a new dimension to the game.Trying ot second guess which crop will be in the next challenge. and the best part is you only do them if you want.there is no pressure ..LOVIN IT!!!

Corn Farmer Jan 29 2012 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckertbnc (Post 5027922)
Hi Everyone ,,, I just 'found' the quests awhile ago and I'm now doing my 1st > the Petro one :)...

Just keep in mind that quests are different for different people - my first quest was "Bake 15x rhubarb pies in a facility" (needed rhubarb, wheat, and sugarcane, no more than 5 or 10 of each).

Second quest was "Produce 10x Hotdogs in a facility". 3x wheat, 10x tomatoes. But the kicker here was that ketchup was needed. First, who puts ketchup on hotdogs? Second, ketchup comes from a Food Preserves factory, which is a Farm Cash factory.

Edit: the quests are random finished products so it could be literally one of a hundred or more things, random for each player each day.

justmecookin Jan 29 2012 03:05 AM

I planted 10 of each long term crop...also trees to have ready...am loving the quest

justmecookin Jan 29 2012 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corn Farmer (Post 5028522)
Just keep in mind that quests are different for different people - my first quest was "Bake 15x rhubarb pies in a facility" (needed rhubarb, wheat, and sugarcane, no more than 5 or 10 of each).

Second quest was "Produce 10x Hotdogs in a facility". 3x wheat, 10x tomatoes. But the kicker here was that ketchup was needed. First, who puts ketchup on hotdogs? Second, ketchup comes from a Food Preserves factory, which is a Farm Cash factory.

I put ketchup on my Hotdogs along with mustard onions and chili then topped with slaw...lol..lol.

Farmer Homer Jan 29 2012 03:30 AM

I finished my "quest farm" today. I have 9 of each tree used in factories (I hope I got them all), 16 of each flower used, cows, goats, sheep, llama, geese, turkeys, horses, chickens and rabbits. I have a lake with boat, river, small and large seacoast. I have a patch work farm with 8 plots each but looks like I need to increase to 10 on some of them.

I'm loving the quests. I'm on my third, none of them has completed as yet, all have been pretty involved with several steps which makes it more of a challenge.

(I also put ketchup on my hotdogs. :) )

Papi Jan 29 2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papi (Post 5028510)
Devs - might this be an opportunity for a player option? "Only give me quests from my current facilities" which would return less reward per completed quest vs. "Give me quests that might include new (to me) facilities" with a greater reward for completion.

This has cost me some sleep, but I think I have a better idea.

When the user unlocks a quest, the screen now just says "Generate quest" or something to that effect.

What if there were options on that screen?

I can think of three possible options: low risk, low completion reward; medium risk, medium reward; high risk, high reward. The reward for the quest is locked in at quest generation.

"Low risk" means the quest will require only resources the user already owns.

"Medium risk" may require any resource available for purchase with coin.

"High risk" may include any resource, owned or unowned, coin or cash.

Please post opinions, criticism, etc.

Farmgirl_Su Jan 29 2012 06:20 AM

here in the Uk its normal if not compulsory to add ketchup to hotdogs..lol

HelenJS22 Jan 29 2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papi (Post 5028606)
This has cost me some sleep, but I think I have a better idea.

When the user unlocks a quest, the screen now just says "Generate quest" or something to that effect.

What if there were options on that screen?

I can think of three possible options: low risk, low completion reward; medium risk, medium reward; high risk, high reward. The reward for the quest is locked in at quest generation.

"Low risk" means the quest will require only resources the user already owns.

"Medium risk" may require any resource available for purchase with coin.

"High risk" may include any resource, owned or unowned, coin or cash.

Please post opinions, criticism, etc.

I've done four quests so far, and if I remember correctly each one of them has involved a farmcash facility one way or another.

My thinking is that on the 'redeem prize' screen there is a message saying that in the future 'the mayor might reward us with farm cash or ingredients ...
Perhaps the possible reward of farm cash is a reason for making the quests involve farm cash facilities.

I'm not sure what their thinking is, but I know it is disappointing for some who won't buy any farm cash items and it seems that they can't do any quests so far.

Maybe your idea would work, but I'm sure it's taken a heck of a lot of programming so far just to give us the quests that we have, so you may be asking for a very big task to add categories within the quests.

HelenJS22 Jan 29 2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmgirl_Su (Post 5028634)
here in the Uk its normal if not compulsory to add ketchup to hotdogs..lol

... and in Australia it's also compulsory to use 'Tomato Sauce' on our hot dogs. Our main problem is the the American version is getting a look in and now they are starting to call it ketchup :eek: :( :mad:

justmecookin Jan 29 2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer Homer (Post 5028538)
I finished my "quest farm" today. I have 9 of each tree used in factories (I hope I got them all), 16 of each flower used, cows, goats, sheep, llama, geese, turkeys, horses, chickens and rabbits. I have a lake with boat, river, small and large seacoast. I have a patch work farm with 8 plots each but looks like I need to increase to 10 on some of them.

I'm loving the quests. I'm on my third, none of them has completed as yet, all have been pretty involved with several steps which makes it more of a challenge.

(I also put ketchup on my hotdogs. :) )

Glad I read this...forgot about the flowers...Also increase crops to 10...doing one that required 10 wheat

dixiegirl Jan 29 2012 07:54 AM

Thanks

Thanks Tony for putting all the discussions together. I am going to love the quest, just as soon as I get one I can complete. I am giving up and buying the facilities I need that are coin... No FC at this time.:o :D

But.... I like ketchup and mustard on my dogs!!!:D

yourdanielle Jan 29 2012 09:31 AM

Personally I am finding quests to be a clever way to get us to spend FarmCash. If quests are "personalized", then why not let us use the facilities we already have? My first quest involved the dairy facility, easy enough, done. My second quest was to harvest green grapes and make champagne, fine. The third requires me to order from the semi, which is a FC item that I do not have. So oh well. Goodbye most quests!

dixiegirl Jan 29 2012 11:43 AM

not done quest

For those wondering or those that have not experienced it yet, this is what I have found if you can not do a quest.
You will still be able to do others as the time comes. At first I could not, but that appears to have been a glitch, as I can now.

I broke down and bought the facility to do my first quest... I know I know ... I wasn't going to, but it was just taunting me. I lost money on that one with the cost of the facility but I did it.

The second one requires 2 FC facilities that I do not have, so I can't do it. I harvested the tree as required so I could be shown as having started it. That is all I did, when the time was up to get another quest I got that, and am now waiting on crops for it. I also have another one that just became available.

The key here seems to be to "start" the quest in some way, a crop, trees etc. Then just let it expire. It did make me "start" it, in order to get the next one.

But if you can not do a quest it does not keep you from getting the next one, I don't know what happens if you get several in a row that you can not do. Stay tuned for that one!!

swd Jan 29 2012 11:50 AM

Love the quests, especially the ones with many steps. My only suggestion is that the quests should allow you to accept gifts of those products made in facilities that cost FC that you don't have.
Or not produce a quest that uses that facility.

ebrillblaiddes Jan 29 2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swd (Post 5028862)
My only suggestion is that the quests should allow you to accept gifts of those products made in facilities that cost FC that you don't have.

AGREE!!! If the goal of a quest is to make something, I can see why getting the ingredients would be steps in a quest, but ANY way of getting ingredients should be valid.

jcassemjr Jan 29 2012 12:52 PM

I don't think that it is fair for those of us that financially support this game by buying Farm Cash so that we have all of the facilities and are able to complete the quests that the quest be changed so that those that don't spend money on the game have a work around. It is nice that those that help pay for the developers and the bills that make this game possible have a real advantage over those that don't.

twtywill Jan 29 2012 01:31 PM

Quests

The one suggestion I have is have the ability to "DENY" a quest because I may not have a facility needed to complete it. Then after I deny that quest have a secondary quest available to do. But have only 1 optional quest per day. That way people aren't "CHERRY PICKING" what quests they want to do.

Miamine Jan 29 2012 02:30 PM

Ah... so each person has a different quest....

I'm thinking.. I can't use me boat to catch fish for quests, and also I can't use the fish that I get from others farms...

Yep... I been fishing for every Tom, Dick and Harry in the Market place... but I still can't get the fish that the stupid quest thing wants (nods head.... yep, this is a push to get us to spend more farm cash) :(

Maybe I should sell me boat on ebay and get the big sea coast instead

Mr. H Jan 29 2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcassemjr (Post 5028910)
I don't think that it is fair for those of us that financially support this game by buying Farm Cash so that we have all of the facilities and are able to complete the quests that the quest be changed so that those that don't spend money on the game have a work around. It is nice that those that help pay for the developers and the bills that make this game possible have a real advantage over those that don't.

I've spent a ton on the game. I own all the tools and dozens of FC facilities. I've gifted tools and facilities to less fortunate friends. And, I've done it all without having side accounts to earn FC.

But, I don't agree. This is a game that needs more players and I don't see the point of having quests that everyone can't do. I worry that it will only further alienate players that can't, or chose not to, spend real money on the game.

I feel I already have a huge advantage with all the tools and all the facilities I own and, for the good of the game, I don't want any advantage for the quests. The rewards, so far, are not that big...make them easily accessible by all.

jcassemjr Jan 29 2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. H (Post 5028998)
I've spent a ton on the game. I own all the tools and dozens of FC facilities. I've gifted tools and facilities to less fortunate friends. And, I've done it all without having side accounts to earn FC.

But, I don't agree. This is a game that needs more players and I don't see the point of having quests that everyone can't do. I worry that it will only further alienate players that can't, or chose not to, spend real money on the game.

I feel I already have a huge advantage with all the tools and all the facilities I own and, for the good of the game, I don't want any advantage for the quests. The rewards, so far, are not that big...make them easily accessible by all.

If the Developed don't make it an advantage to own the FC items, there by encouraging players to buy Farm Cash, how are they going to pay the expenses? All over the forum there are posters that want Farm Cash without spending real money. There is no way to pay the bills if you are giving away the source of income.

We do need more players, players that help play for the game. Not players that want something for nothing. If I choose to not spend money, and therefore cannot participate in an aspect of the game, I made the choice. The players need to be motivated to buy Farm Cash thereby supporting the game. I know that I was strongly motivated by getting run over while working from the Market by the players with the tools. So I began spending USD's for Farm Cash. Giving them an option or alternative isn't going to motivate the players to support the game.

ebrillblaiddes Jan 29 2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcassemjr (Post 5028910)

I see what you mean, but being able to do things yourself rather than rely on neighbors to help you out is still an advantage, and not everything can be sent as a gift anyway. I understand that the point of a quest is a challenge and not everyone is going to be able to do everything, but the more often every player can at least hope to be successful, the more interested people will be in the quests, therefore the more good they will do for keeping people involved in the game.

To me, it makes the most sense for there to be a mix of quests where FC-purchased stuff is a necessity, quests where FC-purchased stuff gives an advantage (e.g. being able to get things yourself instead of relying on gifts), and quests where FC is no special advantage. I can also see how different levels of rewards for these types of quests would make sense. It's important to strike a balance between giving some players a legitimately earned advantage and keeping any major part of the game from being, in effect, labeled For Paying Players Only. FC items are supposed to be an enhancement, not a necessity.

totalyclipse Jan 29 2012 03:54 PM

no the quests are different for each player speaking with my friend on skype she did her first quest same time and same day as i did when we first started , hers is different than mine...

HelenJS22 Jan 29 2012 04:04 PM

Feedback for all those who, like me, have made 'quest farms' with everything possible at the ready, all set to go on the next quest.

Little Miss Smartie Pants :o being the ever prepared ex girl guide that she is, eagerly opened her quest this morning to find that she had to 'make orange pigment' ... two steps only.

Runs to quest farm, harvests a few carrot, heads off to ink and pigment factory and, having made sure there was a little space in each and every factory, sets orange pigment into the making ... waits only one hour ... quest finished :(

Now I feel a little deflated :o Oh well, I stuffed it up the other day and had to wait for 8 hours for a crop to finish growing, then felt deflated too.

Now: What needs doing to make sure that I am completely ready for my next quest tomorrow ??? :D :D :D

Note to self: Quite possibly the farmtown fairies know that I have a workload a mile high today in the real world, and gave me an itty bitty quest so that I would be satisfied and GO AND GET MY WORK DONE!! :rolleyes:

HelenJS22 Jan 29 2012 04:08 PM

Another point that should be made regarding this morning's short and sharp quest ....... IT DID NOT REQUIRE A FARM CASH FACILITY IN ANYWAY.

The only requirement for this quest was harvesting carrot and then making orange pigment in the Ink and Pigment factory which can be bought for 900,000 farmCOIN :)

Farmgirl_Su Jan 29 2012 04:20 PM

I for one hope they never change the quests to allow neighbours to help,or gifts to be used. I like the idea we have to actually work and struggle to do them.

Who wants it to be too easy.if i come up against a quest that requires a facility i don't have..well I'll either buy it or pass up on that quest.. There is nothing compulsory about the game. Please devs don't make it too easy just because some want ABC rules.. keep it a challenge which is what a quest should be!!

cabonario Jan 29 2012 04:23 PM

So far, so good, I am working on my third and fourth quests with no problems. I have one request, please, please, please, do NOT make any of them dependent on harvesting crops from other peoples farms. I don't think many of us want to be begging in the market to harvest a certain crop in order to finish a quest. The thing I like the most is that fact we can do it all ourselves and not have to beg others for anything to finish them, unlike some other farm game.

HelenJS22 Jan 29 2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabonario (Post 5029090)
So far, so good, I am working on my third and fourth quests with no problems. I have one request, please, please, please, do NOT make any of them dependent on harvesting crops from other peoples farms. I don't think many of us want to be begging in the market to harvest a certain crop in order to finish a quest. The thing I like the most is that fact we can do it all ourselves and not have to beg others for anything to finish them, unlike some other farm game.

I'm also not sure about extending the quest to working on other people's farms, though it would present further challenge.

Many of my neighbour farmers have quit the game, or play irregularly, and the four or five dedicated ones left are all in different countries. We kind of see each other in passing now, and we chat a lot, but that is done these days while we work on our own farms more than on each others.

I also would hate to have to go to the market and beg for certain crops. I don't have a lot of spare time, and that is spent caring for all 13 farms. It is amazing how many hours that can take if you want to keep it all going and right up to date.

I have always gone to the market with a 'I will do absolutely anything asked' attitude, and I'd never change that. However, I can't afford the time to spend all night in the market hoping for a few squares of a certain crop which may or may not happen.

I like the fact that we have to rely on our resources for quests, although we have to be on the ball. The current version also allows us to do them only in our own time.

HelenJS22 Jan 29 2012 05:51 PM

Thinking further about the possibility of having to go to the market to hire someone to harvest for you, it would be an absolutely certainty that some one would go to your farm, harvest only the few crops that they require for a quest, then leave you with the rest un harvested.

On the other hand, if you had a mixed farm, as many of us do now, there would be no guarantee with a market hiree that they would only harvest the crop you asked them to do.

I know that the requirement would be set up in good faith by the devs, but there are plenty of people in the market who are totally unscrupulous, but you normally can't pick them until it is too late.

Indigo Rose Jan 29 2012 06:14 PM

2 quests opened up to start - 2 quests will not be finished - do not have the facilities to get items or make finished product.

I do not have all FC facilities.

ImajeanB Jan 29 2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippity (Post 5025458)
No. They are different for everyone

The crops I already had planted did not count when I harvested.

sharimom Jan 29 2012 07:18 PM

[quote=Farmer Homer;5028538]I finished my "quest farm" today. I have 9 of each tree used in factories (I hope I got them all), 16 of each flower used, cows, goats, sheep, llama, geese, turkeys, horses, chickens and rabbits. I have a lake with boat, river, small and large seacoast. I have a patch work farm with 8 plots each but looks like I need to increase to 10 on some of them.

I get the trees and planting crops and flowers, but to put cows, goats, sheep, llama, geese, turkeys, horses, chickens and rabbits on the farm, don't you have to have the sheds etc to get the items (wool, feathers, hair etc)??

Also, how are people viewing more than 1 quest at a time? I had my first quest - everything still said locked underneath. Finished the quest, still locked up, and it says can't start another one for 19 hours. What am I doing wrong?

HelenJS22 Jan 29 2012 07:24 PM

[quote=sharimom;5029266]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer Homer (Post 5028538)

I get the trees and planting crops and flowers, but to put cows, goats, sheep, llama, geese, turkeys, horses, chickens and rabbits on the farm, don't you have to have the sheds etc to get the items (wool, feathers, hair etc)??

Also, how are people viewing more than 1 quest at a time? I had my first quest - everything still said locked underneath. Finished the quest, still locked up, and it says can't start another one for 19 hours. What am I doing wrong?

No matter how early you finish a quest, the next one still stays locked until 20 hours (I think) is up. We can only have one quest per day, though if a quest takes us longer than one day, the next one will open so that we can work on two at the same time.

Yep, to have extra animals harvest ready on any farm, you do need to have the animal sheds on that same farm, but these are mostly for farm cash (except stables I think) and you don't need to fill them completely with all 100 of each animal. I'm pretty sure no quest would require the product of 100 of any animal.

Then it's just a case of making sure that you don't harvest those sheds right before your quest is due to open :(